Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Rose by Any Other Name...

I am all about simplicity. The less complicated something is, the better I like it. Take for instance photo editing. Post production of your photography is inevitable. The time you have to spend on it can be reduced by capturing the near perfect image to begin with. But, depending on circumstances, that may not always be possible. Check out the two images here.

The image on the right is the original captured image. I used the "flower" preset on the camera. That allowed me to get close-up and preserve the colors. No reason to take time to guess at using manual settings when a pre-set will do just as well. The pre-sets are there for a reason, and very helpful when time doesn't allow for dialing in shutter speed, aperature, ISO, etc. A very good capture, but the composition isn't very pleasing and overall it's a little "dark". Time for a little editing.


Two little tweaks of the editing controls and I have a much more pleasing image. Even in the editing department, I don't want to spend a lot of time. Hey, I'd much rather be out shooting than in the chair in front of the computer. So, for this image, as for most, I first attempt to improve image quality by choosing the "auto correct" in my editing software. MANY times, that is enough to bump up the levels, contrast and color to perfection! Next I move on to composition. Taking into consideration the Rule of Thirds, I crop the image.


Capturing images and editing for perfection does not have to be complicated nor time consuming. How to get better at it---practice, practice, practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments, questions and suggestions.