Saturday, June 11, 2011

Keeping Your Equipment Dry

         Before leaving for Canada, to visit the Falls, I knew I needed to prepare for staying dry. Photos posted on the information websites showed tourists draped in yellow or blue rain ponchos when visiting the Falls so I knew that overall I would be protected. But, my concern was for my camera equipment. I typically do not let rain or snow deter me from using my camera--rain storms, well, I try to stay away from lightening! But, overall, a little sprinkle or gentle snow will not keep me indoors if a photo opportunity presents itself.
In preparation for the trip, I packed my trusty "rain sleeve" and met Niagara Falls with little fear. I will say, I had no idea the power or impact of the "mist" that I would encounter when riding Maid of the Mist. Yet, I knew the rain sleeve had done a more than adequate job of keeping my camera dry in other moist circumstances. I had some fleeting concerns for my camera's safety in the middle of the torrential mist (if you call it that). At one point, the use of a camera was impossible due to the heavy deluge of "mist". In the end, I was very happy to see, that while the lens was completely spattered, the body of the camera was dry and working perfectly. (Just a side note. Even though the lens was sprinkled with water, it was still able to focus through the spatters and give some really nice results. Using a lens hood also helps to protect not only the lens from bumps, but also deters some rain from settling on the lens.)

So, where to get a rain garment for your camera? Check out your local camera shop or go on line to any of the many camera gear websites.

The rain sleeve that I used has a draw string that pulls the bag closely around the lens of the camera. It still allows for the lens to easily move for focusing, but is snug enough to  deter unwanted moisture from easily coming into contact with the camera body.
To secure the rain sleeve to the other end of the camera, slip off the eye cup, fit the eye opening around the view finder and slip the eye cup back into place. On some rain sleeves you fit the bag into place and make your own "eye" opening, then put the eye cup back in place. You can easily look through the viewfinder and focus in on your subject.

You are now ready to slip your hand through the back opening of the rain sleeve. If you know your camera well, you will have no trouble making setting adjustments with the rain  sleeve in place. Even if you have to look to make adjustments, which most of us do, the sleeve is transparent and offers good visibility of the controls.                   
The negatives of the sleeve? Your hand/arm may get a little warm, if it is a hot day. On a positive note, your hand/arm will stay a lot warmer on cold days. Don't let a little rain stop you, put a rain coat on your camera and snap away!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments, questions and suggestions.