Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Italiano Vivente 3

Cathy and I on our first trip to Italy.

       Last weekend I was immersed with thoughts and planning of traveling to Italy! I never dreamed I would be visiting the Italian Riviera. I did some reading on the first stop of our vacation, Corniglia (pronounced "Kor kneel e ah"). It is a quiet little town. Cars are not permitted!! Honestly I doubt they could get there. Boats, trains and hoofing it are the modes of transportation!! I am looking forward to relaxing in the piazza, hiking the trails and experiencing the massive view of the Mediterranian Sea. Here is a website if you want to read about it.  http://www.my-cinque-terre.com/corniglia.htm.

         I must be hungry as I'm writing this cause I'm also thinking of the culinary experiences that await. The Liguria area is known for "pesto". Pesto is a sauce made from basil leaves, garlic, salt, olive oil, pine nuts and pecorino cheese. Oh, my, pecorino cheese--brings back memories of my last trip. A totally delicious cheese.  A most mouth watering bread that is common to the area is Focaccia. Now a snack that I have not tried is Farinata. It is described as a "savoury and crunchy pancake made from a base of chick-pea flour." I want to try that! Now last but certainly not least, and I probably should have mentioned it first, is Gelato made with  local honey. I can only imagine the sweet rich flavor!! MMMM MMM MM

Oh, my, I'm gonna have calorie laden dreams tonight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments, questions and suggestions.